Friday, March 25, 2011

The introduction and more on Daddy....

A young Doc... Hoanna likes!

When I decided to breed Hoanna for my 'perfect' future endurance horse, I did a good deal of research. I asked around locally (several Arabian breeders here, one with a good deal of endurance experience even), online forums, and just browsed the net via google (interesting what 'endurance stallion' will turn up in google... NOT always horse related either, LOL). I got a ton of recommendations and horses I should stay away from. I was still VERY new to all this, so I didn't really know the horses, or their owners (some very famous in endurance circles) and though I was open to doing AI, I knew that could get costly and preferred a horse within hauling distance.
For sure, I knew I wanted something in a short-to-medium sized horse (15hds or under was ideal) and since I was in this sport for the long haul and all my horses stay with me for life once I commit to them, I wanted a stallion that had a good mileage/long years of riding record, versus a horse that was winning a bunch of stuff, but was only around for a few years.
Doc at the Bryce Canyon XP...later, Hoanna did her first 50's here as well...we'll hope Eow does this ride too (she saw it already doing Duck Miles two years ago) :)

Enter DR Thunder Bask. I stumbled upon his website through the google search...and I SO wish it were still up! Then you could read what I saw and understand the humor behind it all a bit better. But, alas, Cheri Briscoe is not tech savvy (in fact, she no longer even has a computer), and didn't want to burden anyone else with the upkeep of the site, so it has been taken down. Let's just say, I liked that what I saw (from pictures on there and his supposed miles, which I then looked up on the AERC site: http://www.doublejoy.com/erol/Individual/HorseHistory.asp (just type in DR Thunder Bask, as I can't seem to figure out how to do a direct link to his stats). He had an impressive number of miles, and out of 275 ride starts, was only pulled 5 times. Very cool! This is the kind of horse I want to have! Then I found out he was also a Hall of Fame horse and that he specialized (if one can call it that?) in multi-day rides, which is where I really was heading with my goals as well. He'd also entered Tevis four times....and completed each one. Considering that Tevis has an overall completion rate of 50% or so, he was way ahead of the game. And this was one of my other goals. I am not really a 100 mile rider....I prefer to ride 250 miles, 50 miles at a time for 5 days :) But...what endurance rider doesn't dream of having one of those coveted Tevis buckles? So seeing those completions in his record really helped too. Now, asking around again about this particular horse, I got some interesting responses. From " Oh god, YES!!!" to "Why him? He hasn't won hardly anything?!" I mulled it all over some more, then thought I would just go ahead and email the owner and ask some questions, before settling on a final answer..though I was 90% committed at that point :)
Another nice shot of him at home... nice looking horse :)

Now, this is where having the website still up would have helped you. One of the things I really liked on the site, was that the two stallions (MMF Faramir, another nice horse, though at the time less interesting to me than Doc) had their pages written in a unique way. Instead of the usual list of prizes won, babies had, and qualities of the horse, it was written from the horse's perspective. For Doc, it went something like this: "Hi, my name is DR Thunder Bask and ...." and it proceeded to tell about what he did in life and what he liked or not. For Faramir, it was something like "Hi, I am Faramir...the OTHER horse.." since he was not quite as renowned as Doc. It was all very humorous and I LOVED the approach..I tend not to take myself, or life, all too seriously, and I loved that the breeder apparently had the same sense of humor. To top it all off, as I browsed the site, I realized almost all the horses had names from The Lord of the Rings. This was in a time before the movies, and one actually had to have read the books, LOL. And some of them went into the obscure areas, like the Silmarillion, which only real fans read. Beings that I have been a fan since BEFORE I could read (had the books read to me as a kid by one of my cousins, and that hooked me on them as well as any other fantasy/sci-fi from then on), I was tickled to find my top horse pick had an owner with the same tastes. So, here is the first email I sent to her...and I wanted to see how she'd respond to the email coming from MY horse, to Doc, instead of just emailing the breeder as a person asking questions.

"Dear Doc,
My name is Hoanna. I am a 14h Morgan/Quarter mare in serious lust.... I saw your webpage while browsing online dating services, and I think it was love at first sight when I saw your picture...and my "Mom" thinks your endurance record would make for an awesome baby. She thinks I have a slight problem with my 'work ethic'....not my fault I have thicker quarter horse muscling and like to eat and sleep all day, and just mosey down the trail at a casual walk! Anyway, she thinks it is high time to find a boyfriend for me, so that she can do endurance rides without needing legs of steel. She does love my trail horse smarts (Mom likens me to a Jeep that will go offroading anywhere), level headedness, and fairly solid build though...and my willingness to try just about anything, no matter how stupid I think humans are for asking me to do these things. She just thinks I need some 'get up and go' bred into me. Would you like to go out on a date sometime? I am a beautiful copper chestnut lady and only 7yrs old...so drop me a line soon :)
Love (and lust),
Hoanna"
Hoanna's Tevis 'Pinup' of Doc :)


So then I tagged on a PS from me, her 'Mom' and asked a few questions about Doc (his build, feet, etc) and what it would take to breed to him and such. This is the response I got back:

"Hi Hoanna
Glad to hear you are interested in me. My mom says Quarter Horses and Morgan are my best outcross. Doesn't matter to me - I LOVE 'em all. You and your mom have asked a lot of questions - hope I don't miss any answers.
My mom says I'm a bit lazy (unless I'm racing). I prefer to think of it as self preservation. We stallions are very good at this as one never knows when their might be a willing lady around the corner or back in camp. True, this has only happened twice - once the day after Tevis and again after ROC - but I was successful on both occasions (both the rides and the ladies). Mom says one of the reasons I've stayed so sound and gone so many miles is that I'm easy on myself at home as well as on the trail. Plus, she says I travel very efficiently - close to the ground -- unless I am goofing around - NOT MY FAULT - goblins reach out of the bushes and grab my tail.
Now RACING is another thing entirely. I can tell from the start whether a day is going to be laid-back or boogity-boogity, or even a lade back with a late boogity. I have been known to puff way up - taking deep snorty breaths anticipating a race to the finish, and also to try to bully other horses into not passing me. I don't threaten to bite or kick - just seem to grow into 18hds and sorta do a leaping gallop sideways down the trail (works pretty good, too). I'm also very fast - but Mom hardly ever lets it go that far. Mom says I have an auto-pilot you can set anywhere between 6 & 10mph & I just hold it. I will go in front or back - doesn't matter, but I don't mind leaving other horses, either - especially in my dust when the occasion warrants (and mom lets me).
I have accompanied a couple of my children on the trail, and at rides, and they definitely have my trail smarts and quick recoveries. Mom calls me the world's best 4WD. My one daughter, Tari (MMF Elentari), on her first ride - the Sunland 50 - a nasty ALL up and down affair - came into lunch with a 28 pulse. Mom says all my kids have my big engine. Haven't heard any complaints about work ethic, but they DO occasionally enjoy lighthearted fun at their partner's expense. As they say - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
I have really good feet. My dad, Jeff, used to be a shoer (he's retired now), and I know he liked me. Said I have really thick walls and grow very evenly heel and toe. That made him really happy, 'cause he didn't have to do me as often. I have never thrown a shoe, and one set lasted through Tevis, Eastern High Sierra 50, Virginia city 100, and one week later we got 75 miles into the Buttermilk Classic 100 in Bishop, before the ends of ,y hind shoes broke off. Jeff tacked new hinds on - my fronts were still OK. Mom said she sent the shoes to St. Croix Forge - thought they might like to see them. I'm proud to say I pass my good bone and conformation to all my kids.
Mom has set my 'fee' at $1000 (personally Id' oblige for a LOT less -- like $0 -- but she says this stuff about buying hay...). My booking fee is $200, and that is non-refundable - but I have a live foal guarantee on live cover - good for as long as I'm still able. Mom gets the balance of my fee - $800 - when my mare checks 120 days in foal.
She says I'm a real pain to collect AI. I demand a 'real' mare and then just goof around hoping they'll change their minds and let me have the REAL deal. So far that hasn't worked - even though I drive the vet (and mom) crazy -- sometimes taking several hours before I will cooperate. Hey -it's mine and as they say 'you can lead a horse to water but....' Anyway, my mom charges $350 per shipment for me, and while she says I ship very well, I hear it can cost a lot of extra $$ when the lady in waiting at the other end has problems. Also, because mom's never sure if I'll give IT up in time, (so far I always have, but I can really hold out when I put my mind to it), she no longer offers LFG with shipped semen. My mom says if your mom is interested in the shipped stuff, it would be best if she called so they can discuss it. Mom says I am 100% (on mares that can conceive) with live cover. Of course!
I think your best bet would be to hop in the trailer end of March. My mom wants you to have all your inoculations - especially West Nile - before you get here. Our vets are thinking that giving WNV during hte first trimester can cause some abortions and we definitely don't want that. If this will be your first time, a culture isn't necessary, but it's probably a good idea to have your innards checked just to be sure it's all there and in the right place.
Our accomidations are 24X48 pipe corrals with covers, and we also have larger turnout areas, if you feel like stretching your legs. My mom charges 7$ per day mare care, and you would be here around 6 weeks if all goes well. That's assuming your mom would want you to stay for an ultrasound to confirm your pregnancy at 15 days. You are a perfect age (and color). Hope your mom likes bays, but she actually has a chance for three colors: bay, seal brown - like me - or black (there is a lot of black on my mom's side).
If your mom has any questions, she can call my mom at:---- Also, if she wants, she can see my entire ride history (except for my 1st Tevis - which for some reason they say the computer won't put in) at the AERC website.
Thanks for checking me out and I hope we can get together this spring.
DOC


Next posts: More "Love Letters" and Honna's trip to Tehachepi...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aylisha. I am interested in getting in touch with Cheri Briscoe. Do you know how I can email her? You mentioned her website is no longer up which is a shame... I'm looking for a lovely endurance stallion for my lady :) Please contact me at kstaffa@gmail.com if you get this! Thank you (and good luck - Tevis is my goal too!)

    ReplyDelete